Serving Western NC and the greater Asheville Area - Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week

Four Fireplace and Space Heater Safety Tips to Help Prevent Fires  

a coupling sitting by the fireplace

With the price of natural gas, propane and heating oil rising, consumers are looking for alternate (and less expensive) sources of heat, such as fireplaces, pellet stoves, wood stoves and space heaters. However, these methods of heating your home are much more prone to causing house fires than a traditional furnace. If you use an alternate method of heat, it's important to carefully follow these safety tips:

1. Keep space heaters at least three feet away from any surface. The heat from a space heater can quickly cause bedding, drapes and upholstery to ignite. Make sure that you leave ample room--at least three to five feet-- between objects and the heater to avoid fires.

2. Turn off space heaters before you leave the room or go to sleep. It only takes a few minutes for a fire to engulf a room. Don't run a space heater when you're not able to keep a close eye on it.

3. Only burn dry, cured wood in your fireplace. Burn wood that has been split and cured for at least 8-12 months. Green wood can smoke and crackle, sending dangerous sparks into your living area.

4. Have your chimney cleaned at least twice a year. This is essential if you burn more than a cord of wood each year to prevent creosote from building up and clogging your chimney.

To learn more about preventing home fires or getting your Asheville area home back to normal after a fire or severe smoke damage, contact ServiceMaster of Buncombe County today. We're available to help residents of Asheville, Black Mountain, Biltmore Lakes and other surrounding areas 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


  • blog
  • Four Fireplace and Space Heater Safety Tips to Help Prevent Fires  
  • Side Menu

    Your staff & managers are very nice & very efficient this makes the unexpected problem that the customer is having to deal with much easier to deal with!

    Carol Manning | View All Customer Reviews

    How to Get Rid of Lingering Smoke Odors After a Fire 

    READ POST

    Why You Should Always Trust Mold Cleanup to a Professional  

    READ POST

    How to Treat Mold Infestation

    READ POST
    {
      "get": {
        "PostID": "1005274"
      },
      "cookie": {
        "visitorDeviceClass": "desktop",
        "ASP.NET_SessionId": "ntca1a0icm5h4s4an34q22lf",
        "ANONID_FS2716853": "19.02.2018 09:56:46.557",
        "ANONID2716853": "644b461a-3042-48b9-b183-f02fda2f6122",
        "VISID2716853": "4440c8c5-0cf5-4657-9840-6912d361b0ef#www.servicemasterasheville.com#19.02.2018 09:56:46.557"
      },
      "site": {
        "id": 2716853,
        "name": "ServiceMaster Asheville",
        "host": "www.servicemasterasheville.com",
        "countryCode": "US",
        "language": "EN",
        "dateNow": "2018-02-19T04:56:46.5579939"
      },
      "visitor": {
        "deviceClass": "desktop",
        "ip": "54.159.30.26",
        "country": "US",
        "city": "Ashburn",
        "userAgent": "CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/)",
        "referrer": "/"
      },
      "cart": {
        "cartUrl": "/OrderRetrievev2.aspx?CatalogueID=0"
      },
      "user": {
        "entityId": 0,
        "firstname": "",
        "middleName": "",
        "lastname": "",
        "fullname": "",
        "username": "",
        "email": "",
        "email2": "",
        "email3": "",
        "customerType": {},
        "leadSourceType": {},
        "industryType": {},
        "ratingType": {},
        "isWholesaler": false,
        "isLoggedIn": false
      }
    }