Serving Western NC and the greater Asheville Area - Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week
Thanksgiving is a time to enjoy a feast, but unfortunately, it’s possible for a fire to start during the preparing process, particularly if you’re not careful and prepared. However, it is possible to take the steps necessary now to reduce, or even eliminate, the possibility of a Thanksgiving-related fire. At ServiceMaster of Buncombe County, we recommend taking precautions and understanding the risk of Holiday fires. Additionally, if you should happen to have a fire during the upcoming season, make sure to have the experts at ServiceMaster of Buncombe County on speed dial to help with the restoration process.
Most homeowners believe that a fire won’t happen to them, especially on Thanksgiving–but this simply isn’t the case. In 2015 alone, there were an estimated 1,760 cooking fires on Thanksgiving. It’s one of the peak days during the year for home fires, especially because it’s one day during the year that people that would typically not cook are in the kitchen. With lots of family and friends gathered and plenty of distractions, it’s no wonder Thanksgiving fires are so prevalent.
But fires can happen anytime. In fact, according to the U.S. Fire Administration, there were 1,319,500 houses fire in 2017 alone. These fires resulted in 14,670 injuries and 3,400 deaths. That’s why it’s important to practice important safety tips all year round, not just during the holidays. Here are a few fire safety tips to keep in mind while you’re preparing the feast this Thanksgiving:
You should be in the kitchen the entire time you’re cooking. If you leave the room and you’re not coming back immediately, it’s best to turn the burners off. Even leaving them on low could cause a fire. Keep in mind, leaving food cooking while it’s unattended is the leading cause of cooking fires and fire-related deaths.
Keep towels and potholders away from the side of your stove and don’t leave them on it either.
Always wear short sleeves or roll up your sleeves when you’re making Thanksgiving dinner.
Always have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen while you’re cooking. Make sure it’s easily accessible in the event you do experience a fire.
If you happen to experience a house fire over the holiday season, contact ServiceMaster of Buncombe County right away!
I’ve had a great experience with ServiceMaster so far. Everyone I have worked with from your team has been friendly, courteous, professional and helpful. I’ve been able to schedule work with you very quickly and yet you have been very flexible and accommodating to changes and delays (on my end) as they have come up. Thanks for the great service you provide!