Serving Western NC and the greater Asheville Area - Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week

Three Common Fall Household Fire Hazards

smoking outlet

Cooler air and shorter daylight hours herald the coming change of seasons. But amid the fall fun and festivities, don't lose sight of these common household fire hazards, more common in the autumn months.

Portable Heaters

Portable heaters can be a handy way to take the chill out of a room. But portable heaters also trap dust and debris. All it takes is a small spark or fume to ignite a fire immediately.

  • Never leave a space heater unattended or fall asleep while it's operating
  • Turn the unit off once the room heats up
  • Clean the unit regularly

Decorative Candles

The aromas of autumn are often captured in decorative candles. While they add an inviting touch to fall decor, candles can also be a fire hazard, quickly going from fall accent to fire hazard.

  • Avoid burning candles in the bedroom, where they are more easily forgotten
  • Be sure candles are placed well away from draperies, furniture and clutter
  • Keep wicks at 1/8 inch or less and burn each for no more than four hours

Fireplace

There's nothing like cozying up to a warm fire on a chilly fall night, but if your fireplace hasn't been properly maintained, that tranquil evening can quickly turn to tragedy. Burning cinders and debris in the chimney can spell trouble for fireplaces.

  • Have your chimney inspected and cleaned as necessary each fall
  • Keep fireplace screens in place
  • Never use flammable liquids to start your fire

The fall can be a fun and beautiful time of the year, but it is important to stay aware of potential fire hazards. If you've had a household fire mishap, don't try to clean up and repair the damage yourself. Contact the professionals at ServiceMaster of Buncombe County for more information or to schedule service.


  • blog
  • Three Common Fall Household Fire Hazards
  • Side Menu

    We received very professional and personal service. Completely satisfied and grateful for their help. Would recommend them to everyone.

    Pastor Todd Royal - Fairview Baptist Church | View All Customer Reviews

    Kitchen Fire Clean-Up Requires Know-How

    READ POST

    Puddles Aren't Fun

    READ POST

    Completely Restore Your Home After A Fire

    READ POST
    {
      "get": {
        "PostID": "1027636"
      },
      "cookie": {
        "visitorDeviceClass": "desktop",
        "ASP.NET_SessionId": "r2qewvpkooqdjxzh5d2f5ecw",
        "ANONID_FS2716853": "22.04.2019 20:53:35.339",
        "ANONID2716853": "0a341183-2446-4717-9c41-65ea128855a1",
        "VISID2716853": "ff8154cc-bb68-4f94-a820-e9f5e7506a3f#www.servicemasterasheville.com#22.04.2019 20:53:35.339"
      },
      "site": {
        "id": 2716853,
        "name": "ServiceMaster Asheville",
        "host": "www.servicemasterasheville.com",
        "countryCode": "US",
        "language": "EN",
        "dateNow": "2019-04-22T16:53:35.3553731"
      },
      "visitor": {
        "deviceClass": "desktop",
        "ip": "18.234.111.56",
        "country": "US",
        "city": "Ashburn",
        "userAgent": "CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)",
        "referrer": "/"
      },
      "cart": {
        "cartUrl": "/OrderRetrievev2.aspx?CatalogueID=0"
      },
      "user": {
        "entityId": 0,
        "firstname": "",
        "middleName": "",
        "lastname": "",
        "fullname": "",
        "username": "",
        "email": "",
        "email2": "",
        "email3": "",
        "customerType": {},
        "leadSourceType": {},
        "industryType": {},
        "ratingType": {},
        "isWholesaler": false,
        "isLoggedIn": false
      }
    }